Saturday, June 2, 2012

"Fighting for Justice" (Michael Vick monologue)


Fighting for Justice
Character Description:
Name – Spike
Age – 5 yrs. old (35 in human years)
Appearance – A big scary and intimidating black and white spotted pit bull with a spiked collar.   
Personality- Surprisingly very friendly, kind-hearted, and determined pit bull that is very depressed and angry due to his past and the treatment he’s given. He acts gangster and is pretty ghetto but has no fear to fight for what is right.
Setting- He’s in a dingy, dirty, hut of some sort that’s cluttered with all kind of junk and is in the backyard of a bigger property. He’s stuck inside a hot, cramped, and smelly cage with no space to move. Can’t really see much but can hear the other dogs in the other cages whimpering.
Audience- He’s thinking in his head or praying to Artemis, the God of animals, but he’s really talking to us, the readers or the audience members (If performed).

Lights fade, and curtains open to reveal a pitch dark stage. Spotlight zooms in on one big cage center-stage.
Spike:

             Well… my name WAS spike before I came HERE, to this raggedy old dump. This place is a Hell-hole!! I hate it here!!! I just wish I could go back ho… (Stops abruptly) (Pause, deep in thought)… I miss it so much… It’s been so long but I can remember it like it was just yesterday… (Really emotional) His name was Andy. He was the best owner a dog could have! He would always take me for a walk first thing when he came home from school every day, sneak food under the table for me when mom wasn’t looking, and most of all I remember he would sneak me into his room every night to sleep next to him on his bed even though mom never allowed me on the furniture… (Pause)…       
          That was my home… and they were my family, but now… I’m here!!... In THIS pathetic excuse for a home! (Pouts) It’s hot, and smelly, and I’m stuck in this small cage with the crap no one cared to clean up this morning because, of course, no one takes me for a walk either!! They treat us like dogs here!! … Well… We are! … But still, it’s not fair! … Oh yeah! And not to mention, I’m starving!! They haven’t fed me all day!! And it’s probably because of the fight. Cuz for some reason they never feed me during the day of a fight. But they should be taking me out pretty soon because cuz today’s the day, the day of the big fight. I can’t get it off my mind… Today’s the day I’ll finally be able to seek my revenge!
          See… me and my opponent, Big Ace… we go way back… When I first came here I was a loner, I didn’t know anyone and I was just a lost puppy… literally! But see… Big Ace and my old buddy Blaze, introduced me to the place and showed me how things worked around here! Eventually the three of us became the bestest of friends. We were as tight as my dog collar! ... Inseparable!
           But then one day the big door opened. See when that door opens and the daylight of the outdoors pour in, you do only one of two things: … Hope and pray your going outside for a walk, or fear and dread that you’re going into the arena for another fight… So when the door slammed open and the boss, Michael Vick is his name, and his crew walked down the row of cages, they stopped at Big Ace’s. I knew something was wrong because they never come in at that time. Ever since that I haven’t seen him since. But it took only two weeks later when Blaze was up for another fight. Next thing he knew he was staring Big Ace straight in the eye in the middle of the Arena. He stood no chance against Big Ace.  See now Big Ace was the toughest, most fiercest pit bull you’d ever meet! He was a bigger and better fighter than the rest of us that’s why he was moved. He betrayed us! He had no hesitation to fight his used-to-be best friend! Things didn’t go well in that ring for Blaze. Big Ace messed him up pretty bad!

              By the time Blaze came back it wasn’t a pretty sight. Big Ace did some pretty good damage. Good enough I wasn’t sure Blaze would be able to go back in the ring for a while… if ever! And I don’t know what happens to dogs that are unable to fight but… let’s just say I’ve never seen one return. I still don’t know till this day exactly what the hell happened that night, but I know one thing for sure! … It couldn’t have been good! After the boss, Vick, took him out I’ve never seen him again. Some say they drown them, other’s say they hang ‘em but whatever it is I’m going out there tonight with bravery and determination and I’m gunna fight for a cause! (Looks at the dog tag on his collar) Sorry I left you Andy … (Light fills the filthy room as the big door opens and Vick walks to his cage and kneels down) but I promise you, I’ll find a way back!!






No comments:

Post a Comment