Saturday, June 2, 2012

"Leaving Home" (2 person scene)

Leaving Home (Inspired by: "The Glass Menagerie") 
Characters:
Dan- 12-year old energetic playful little boy who is short with blonde hair, blue eyes and full of Imagination.
Toby- Cute little dog who is a very loveable Chihuahua that needs lots of love and care..
Setting: Dan's room, the young boy



Dan is packing clothes and other necessities in a suitcase while his dog, Toby is chilling in his bed.

Toby: Do you wanna know something?

Dan: Hello??… Who’s there??

Toby: (sarcastically) Uhh, your dog, Gringo, right here (raises paw) who you’ve raised since you were 4-years-old.

Dan: (looks around room in confusion) What??

Toby:  Oh my goodness! (Sarcastically) And they say dogs are stupid. What an Idiot.

Dan: (Jumps back and looks at dog in amaze) Whoa?! (Stands there frozen in shock)

Toby: (Climbs up on suitcase in front of Dan and snaps his paw) Hello?! Helloooo?!  Any one there? Oh well I’m gonna go get something to eat.

Dan: (Snaps out of it) No wait! Where are you going?

Toby: You’re asking me that?

Dan: So you… you… (Speechless)  can t…tal…talk?

Toby: Uh… Yeah. Duh! ...Speaking of which;
what I was trying to say earlier. I have a bone to pick with you! (picks up his toy bone)

Dan: Okay I’m really freaked out right now.

Toby: Can you let me finish?       Thank you
So, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted… How long have you known me?

Dan: Ummm… I don’t know. It’s been like forever.

Toby: And how much haven’t we went through together?

Dan: …(beat)

Toby: We went through everything together. Your first bully, who is still in the hospital with bite marks all over his face… Your first girlfriend who unfortunately is in the bed right next to him. Yeah…about that… Sorry. I’ve always had jealousy problems. When you lost your first tooth… You actually thought the tooth fairy took it until you found it in my poop the next day. Oh yeah and how about that time I pooped in your shoe and the next day when you stepped into your shoes it got all over your foot. (laughs) That was hilarious.
Dan: (laughs) Yeah and I had to stay home all day trying to get rid of that awful God forsaken smell.

Toby:  Hey you wouldn’t feed me so I had to get you back somehow.

Hahaha and how about that other time I tore up your brand new baseball that was signed by Babe Ruth.

Dan: (gasps) So that’s what happened to my favorite baseball.

Toby: Uhh… Uuhh… No… no… not at all. What are you talking about? I was talking about someone else’s baseball. You had a baseball that was signed by Babe Ruth too? (Sarcastically laughs) Well… that’s weird. What are the odds of that.
Anyhow…. That’s beside the point. What I’m trying to say that is that we went through all of that together and look at you now. Getting ready to throw it all away. Packing all of your stuff to leave me here just so you can go to some dumb Summer Camp.

Dan: (stops paying attention due to the amazement of the fact that he can talk) (puts hand towards Gringo’s mouth to try to feel it due to his curiosity)

Toby: (Hits his hand away) Can you stop and pay attention to what I’m saying here.
So as I was saying. Unfortunately we dogs are born with these useless things right here (raises paws) and we can’t do much for ourselves so us dogs need extra help. I need someone to take care of me and love me.

Dan: (Gets lost by his amazement and puts hand towards the dog’s face again.)

Toby: (stops talking) Boy if you don’t get that grimy hand out of my face! (Bites his hand)

Dan: (snaps out of it)Ooowww! What was that for?!

Toby: Pay attention!
Again as I was saying your annoying mother doesn’t even like me and she’s never home, She’s always at work. But I understand. I guess if you really don’t love me, if you really hate me go right ahead leave me all alone by myself. It’s your choice.

Dan: No it’s not that…

Toby: (put’s his back towards Dan) No! Don’t talk to me. I don’t wanna hear it.

Dan: It’s just that I really wanna go to Summer Camp and this is the first time mom is going to let me go.

Toby: But who’s going to feed me, take me for walks, love me, and take care of me. Please don’t go I beg you.

Dan: I wish I could stay but this is the only chance I’m going to get, to get away from mom.

Toby: I see how it is. You know what? It’s cool, You go. You can go and have fun with your friends. Just remember this. All the stuff I’ve ever done for you.

Dan: like what!? Name one thing that you’ve ever done for me besides tearing all of my stuff up.

Toby: Well uhhh…. Theres ummm… that one time I peed on your new shirt.

Dan: How is that helping me?

Toby:  Trust me I was doing you a favor. That was the ugliest shirt I’ve ever seen. You would’ve gotten made fun of so bad.
Dan: Well I have to go I’m sorry.

Toby: No please don’t go. Don’t leave me.
Don’t make me do it. I will.

Dan: Do what?

Toby:  (Starts to give Dan puppy dog eyes)

Dan: No not the puppy dog eyes! (Tightly closes eyes and puts hand on his face) I’m not looking so it’s not working … (Slowly puts hand down to see if Gringo stopped but he didn’t) Oh my goodness. Aaaawwwww… I’m so sorry

Curtain closes

Opens back up

Dan: (wakes up from sleeping in bed) looks at Toby who is peacefully sleeping in his bed (realizes it was just a dream) Don’t worry I’m not going to go to Summer Camp.


"The Glass Menagerie" Connection Paragraph
            I believe that my scene, “Leaving Home”, connects to The Glass Menagerie because at the end of the play Tom left his home and Laura, his handicap sister, for selfish reasons because he wanted freedom and to be adventurous and to get away from his annoying mom. The only difference is that I made Tom a 12-year old boy named Dan who leaves his dog, named Gringo at home for selfish reasons as well. Tom’s reason is because of freedom and because of his annoying mom. Dan’s reason is because of fun at Summer Camp and his annoying mom. I made Laura a dog because she is handicap and may have needed extra help here and there. So I thought that it would be interesting to make her a dog who needs a bit more extra help. Just like Laura and tom had a great relationship so does Dan and Gringo. But Dan walks out on Gringo just like Tom walks out on Laura.


No comments:

Post a Comment